Tuesday 12 November 2013

Some Pathe News Reels on Nessie

The British Pathe website contains a wealth of material on news events covered by the famous media company from decades past. Naturally, the Loch Ness Monster features in a few of them. I found these ones on a search of their archive.

Leslie Holmes sings "The Monster of Loch Ness" from 1934.

LESLIE HOLMES



The Loch Ness Monster and 1933. This fascinating clip mentions the emergence of Nessie but also gives the historical context - what was happening in the world when a strange monster in a remote Scottish loch turned up?

TIME TO REMEMBER -  THE TIME OF THE MONSTER  1933  - reel 4



This clip appeared on the Loch Ness Monster Debate Facebook page, but I include it for completeness. It details Dan Taylor's Viperfish and the Sherlock Holmes model that sunk.

TWO SUBS LAUNCHED




2 comments:

  1. I particularly liked the Mini-sub clip. Not sure I’ve read a story on those two Mini-subs from 1969 on this Blog, as I have not been a reader from its inception. I'll have to go back through the archives and check, if not, there’s another good article idea. I do know that the skipper of the Viperfish, Dan Taylor died a few years back. As to the fate of R.W Eastaugh, the Pisces skipper, I do not know. The showing of the Sherlock Holmes movie Nessie brings to mind the story of skeptics claiming that the Rines “Gargoyle Head” photo was actually the head of the sunken movie prop, how simple-minded can you get!, which by the way, has now evolved into a tree stump. Now, I’m not implying that I buy the proposition that the “tree stump” shows a creature's head, mind you, it’s too ambiguous for me to decide. So Dick Raynor, if you read this Blog post, you don’t have to convince me that it’s not a Nessie’s head.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great clips - nice job pulling it all together as always. Was it Pathe that showed the Irvine as well?

    ReplyDelete